Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Nashville

Director: Robert Altman (Gosford Park, The Player, MASH)
Cast: Lily Tomlin, Henry Gibson, Karen Black, Ned Beatty, Keith Carradine, Shelley Duvall
USA, 1975

Seen: March 25, 2007 thanks to the Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: It's on my List of 101 Films I Can't Believe I Haven't Seen, I wanted one film of every letter and I picked this for N; Robert Altman rocks and it was in my film textbook from college. In other words it was just 'one of those ones you think you should see'.

While watching this film I wasn't just sitting back and watching I kept thinking to myself - what is this about? What are they trying to say? Are they trying to say something? Who's that again? Oh.. the reporter I remember her, etc.

I am not saying it wasn't a good film, just that I didn't get it. I kept thinking to myself that they must be trying to make a statement but I had no idea what. Then I would be convinced that it was just stories about people, then I would flip back again, and again and then it felt like a music showcase.

The joy of it for me was Lily Tomlin. She was absolutely amazing in every scene she was in, and I was so much more interested and curious about the stories that would come back to her. For that in it of itself, it was worth it.

Great line: "Go get a Goo Goo, it's good!"

Shannon's Overall View:
I don't think I 'got' it
At 2hrs 59min, it's not likely I'd watch it again
I'd recommend it to country music fans or 70's drama fans

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

No comments: