Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Director: Stanley Donen (Singing in the Rain, Funny Face, Blame it on Rio)
Cast: Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Russ Tamblyn, Jeff Richards, Julie Newmar
USA, 1954

Seen: January 8, 2007 on Turner Movie Classics

Reason to see: I'm a sucker for musicals

Oh my, what a fun movie. Although I don't think the premise sure wouldn't fly these days, it was still a joy to watch. Fun songs, charming characters and of course unlikely situations. I especially enjoyed the character Milly, I thought she was really inspirational - she didn't take any crap, but she also didn't give up on anyone and believed everyone could be a better person. I think that is what I got most out of this film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I would watch it again
I'd recommend it, especially to fans of musicals

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

This is a fun one isn't it? You're right, unlike some timeless musicals there are issues here that don't fly today but in general, it's still a joy to watch.

I watched Brigadoon for the millionth time the other night and it still makes me swoon. I think we are definitely musical sisters.