Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sharkwater

Writer/Dir: Rob Stewart - directorial debut
Canada, 2007

Seen: April 10, 2007 with Jamie & Justin at the Varsity

Reason to see: I was invited (thanks Jamie!) Who could say no? It's has been on my 'to see' list as it's Canadian, it is a selection from Canada's Top Ten, the preview rocked, I always get drawn into films that are blue and it is week 16/52 of #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. Is that enough reasons for ya?

Amazing documentary and personal journey film about sharks, and the growing concern for dwindling existence. Who knew that the shark population is quickly becoming smaller and smaller so much so that the great white shark is now considered, endangered? Well, you do now! There is so much more, but the film says it much better than I. It is a truly heartfelt look at something we normally think of as scary, but really sharks are creatures too and don't they deserve to live their lives? I think they do! And I bet you will too.

Warnings: Creatures in distress

Shannon's Overall View:
I thought it was great!
I'll buy it
I highly recommend it

Want to know more? Check out the Sharkwater website here.
How can you help? Check out the Saving Sharks website here.

11 minutes of preshow with 5 commercials and 3 previews: Paris, Je T'aime (looked absolutely compelling), Evan Almighty and The Kingdom (this one has been 'coming soon' for quite a while...)

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I really want to see this! I didn't know it was Canadian? Another reason for me to check it out. I love that you included links for helping out the sharks.

You know how scared I am of them but I also truly respect them. I really hope we get to see this one in the theatre. R is going to think I'm crazy, LOL.

Jamie said...

I'm so glad we got out to this film. I'm glad you put that warning in about animals in distress. I found some of that quite shocking and disturbing. This movie really made me think.