Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day Watch / Dnevnoy Dozor

Dir: Timur Bekmambetov (Night Watch / Nochnoy Dozor)
Cast: Konstantin Khabensky, Mariya Poroshina, Vladimir Menshov, Galina Tyunina, Victor Verzhbitsky
Russia, 2007

Seen: June 14, 2007 at Scotiabank Theatre

Reason to see: I loved the first one. It's also for week 25/52 #7 - See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year

Watching this film I was a bit confused. I have recently read the book to Night Watch, and the story for this film comes from that book (and not the sequel of the same name) which surprized me. I went in not expecting to know the plot at all, and I did. Alas, getting over that I did think this was an enjoyable film. I tend to love things that are highly stylized and this sure was, from the costumes to editing to the sound it very clearly created a bizarre and full world. It cautiously walked the line between the familiar and the eerie which keeps you a bit off balance, but in a challenging good way. It pushes expectations, especially visually. Quite an interesting ride.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I`ll buy it
I'd recommend it, but not as strongly as Night Watch / Nochnoy Dozor

16 minutes preshow included 3 commercials and 5 previews (The Kingdom, Paprika, 1408, Captivity, Sunshine)

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

No comments: